Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My New Obsession: Pao De Queijo

When you go to live in a new country, there are so many new experiences and things that you must try. I have to admit that during the first year, I eat and drink too much, stay out too late, and seem to forget about exercise. My social life takes over and I find that I need to make changes. BUT... there are always some things that I just can't give up. My obsession and love in Brazil is pao de queijo. I am not able to eat gluten, and I stay away from any type of bread, but to my surprise, I found out that pao de queijo was safe for me. The ingredients are so simple: olive oil or butter, water, milk, salt, tapioca flour, parmesan cheese, eggs and sometimes garlic. They are round, cheesy puffs of heaven. When I am at a cafe, store, airport, anywhere in Brazil- my senses take over and I have to have one puff to take away my craving. They seek me out. I have stopped buying the frozen pao de queijo because I can't stop at one. As they are heating in the oven, I am impatiently waiting for them to finish baking. Recently, I found out that not everyone loves them as much as me. This makes me happy because I know that no matter where I go, somebody somewhere will have one puff of heaven-  hot and ready for me!





No comments:

Post a Comment